Monday 23 April 2012

The Sufferings Of A Liverpool Supporter This Season


I was raised just a stone’s throw from Anfield on Merseyside and so though I moved to London with my family when I was thirteen years old, I have still always been a die-hard Liverpool fan. I got a lot of stick for it in my new school when I arrived in London just as my pubescence was beginning – not to mention for my thick Scouser accent – but I was not to be swayed by any of my new friends and remain a fanatical supporter this day two decades later.

I frequently make the journey up the M1 from London to Liverpool to watch matches at Anfield, but this season I have to confess that I have done so less frequently due to the fact that our form has frequently been so poor. For the first time since Kenny Dalglish took over the reigns eighteen months ago. I would normally just stay somewhere near the stadium because when it comes to locating a comfortable yet cheap hotel Liverpool centre is far from the ideal place to try and do so. The majority of Liverpool city centre hotels are four or five star and so rather out of my price range, though I do on occasion stay in one of them if I can find a deal on lastminute.com.

It doesn’t look like we’re going to be able to make the Champions League next season though since our recent run of four defeats on the trot has seen Arsenal pull away from us while West Bromwich Albion are starting to close the gap. If the Baggies were to overtake us, the occasion would be particularly galling considering their manager Roy Hodgson was fired by our new American owners to make way for the return of Kenny Dalglish because they did not trust the Englishman to invest their hundreds of millions.

But it has not worked out well and if we are to turn our season around during its final quarter then we are going to need to starting providing our strikers with more quality supply from the wide players in midfield. Stewart Downing’s potent crossing ability needs to unite the ball with Andy Carroll’s gargantuan forehead more frequently, while Charlie Adam and Jordan Henderson need to start providing the incisive through balls that will allow the diminutive Suarez to employ his pace on the turn to find space behind Premiership opposition defences.

No comments:

Post a Comment